Monday, September 17, 2012

Photographing Nature

Later this week I am teaching a photography class to the kids in our homeschool cooperative, with the focus being on nature.  I don't claim to be an expert at the photographing nature, but I do find beauty in it and do enjoy capturing it now and then.  I like to try to step out of my comfort zone with it to create visually appealing photographs that anybody can enjoy.

I'm going to share some tips on how to take better nature photographs.  These aren't going to be revolutionary by any means, and I'm sure you can Google "nature photography" and find a wealth of information, I just want you to get out there and start thinking of how to do it better :)

1.  Brown IS pretty.  Just because it's the dead of the winter doesn't mean things aren't beautiful.


2.  Find a new perspective. 

3.  Step closer.  There is more than meets the eye.  These fungi may look ugly to some, but they are truly beautiful.

4.  Textures are key.  You can find texture in just about anything in nature.  Moss, tree bark, a smooth stone or the veins on a leaf.  


5.  Find a focus.  Decide on your focus, do you want the whole flower in view?


Or just part of it?  It's perfectly fine to crop out some of the subject, it can create a more dramatic effect like the sunflower below.


6.  Think outside the box.  This sunflower was far from blooming, but in my mind it still created a beautiful subject.  The color is vivid, the textures are rich and you can see the tiny details.  


7.  Take a step back, the landscape can be incredible.  You can capture a full story and scene by just taking a few steps backward.


8.  Take a few steps in, or in other words, zoom in.  This stump was otherwise boring, but the rings and split make it much more interesting.  Look close and you will find something interesting, I promise.


Do you have any tips to share here?  Leave a comment!  I'd love to hear your ideas.  No go out and channel that inner-mamarazzi!

And because I really like you, here is a free printable for you.

This is full resolution.  It was taken by me in Oahu in 2010.  This would make a lovely print for a bathroom, bedroom or a cabin!  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I love taking nature photos, its one of my favorites!! These are great shots you took, I bet the kids will enjoy the class. Will the kids have an opportunity to take photos too?

    ReplyDelete